In 2015 school and council workers’ pay is worth 20% less than it was five years ago. This is a result of government pay freezes and pay increases that did not keep up with inflation.
UNISON is campaigning for a better deal for 2016/17. We are asking for:
All school and council workers to be paid at least the Living Wage (£8.25 per hour or £9.40 per hour in London).
A £1 per hour pay rise for all staff already being paid the Living Wage.
Fairer treatment for school support staff. Many school support staff have been moved on to contracts that mean they do not get paid for school holidays, unlike teachers. UNISON is calling for a review into this.
The protection of terms and conditions. Some conditions such as those around sick pay, annual leave and maternity rightshave come under threat in some local authorities. UNISON is campaigning to ensure we retain and protect them.
The impact of cuts to jobs, pay and conditions on the workforce:
- Three-quarters of our survey respondents say that their un-social hours and overtime payments have been cut.
- 76% said that employers’ expectations have increased in the last 12 months
- Over 50% said service users’ expectations have risen
- Two-thirds had been through reviews and re-organisations at work in the past 5 years – mostly due to cost-cutting
- 46% said reviews are leading to reduced staffing – reorganisation and restructuring is making jobs more difficult and leading to heavier workloads
- 73% report increased stress levels
- Two-thirds reported increased workloads and pressure in the last year
- 32% said reviews are leading to fewer resources
- 26% said they now had worse ways of working and were providing a worse service to the public as a result
(These figures are taken from a recent survey of local government members which had over 1000 respondents.)
UNISON is now waiting to hear from the Local Government Employers, who will make an offer in response to our pay claim. Once an offer is received UNISON will meet with the other local government trade unions to decide whether any offer is acceptable for putting out to members for consultation. Further updates will be posted on this website and communicated to members, so be sure to keep in touch with the branch and your local workplace steward.